NCAS-Climate Lecturer in Atmospheric Chemistry Modelling
Alex read chemistry at the University of Bristol (2003-06) before pursuing a PhD with Prof. Dudley Shallcross and Dr Alistair Manning on numerical modelling of atmospheric dispersion and degradation of trace gases. Alex came to Cambridge in 2009 to work with Prof. John Pyle as an NCAS-climate postdoc, working on the UM-UKCA chemistry-climate model. After spending a few months in Boulder, Colorado, working at NCAR with Dr Jean-Francois Lamarque Alex then took up a lectureship position in the Department of Chemistry. A position co-funded by NCAS-climate.
Alex's research interests are in trying to understand the role that atmospheric chemistry plays within the Earth system. This ranges from understanding the effects of changes on composition to radiative forcing, to understanding the fundamental causes for changes in the composition of the atmosphere.
- Archibald, A. T. (2011). Wake-up call for isoprene emissions. NAT GEOSCI, 4(10), 659-660.
- Utembe, S. R., Cooke, M. C., Archibald, A. T., Shallcross, D. E., Derwent, R. G., & Jenkin, M. E. (2011). Simulating secondary organic aerosol in a 3-D Lagrangian chemistry transport model using the reduced Common Representative Intermediates mechanism (CRI v2-R5). ATMOS ENVIRON, 45(8), 1604-1614. doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2010.11.046
- Archibald, A. T., Levine, J. G., Abraham, N. L., Cooke, M. C., Edwards, P. M., Heard, D. E., . . . Pyle, J. A. (2011). Impacts of HOx regeneration and recycling in the oxidation of isoprene: Consequences for the composition of past, present and future atmospheres. GEOPHYS RES LETT, 38, . doi:10.1029/2010GL046520
- Archibald, A. T., Jenkin, M. E., & Shallcross, D. E. (2010). An isoprene mechanism intercomparison. ATMOSPHERIC ENVIRONMENT Vol. 44 (pp. 5356-5364). doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2009.09.016
- Archibald, A. T., Cooke, M. C., Utembe, S. R., Shallcross, D. E., Derwent, R. G., & Jenkin, M. E. (2010). Impacts of mechanistic changes on HOx formation and recycling in the oxidation of isoprene. ATMOS CHEM PHYS, 10(17), 8097-8118. doi:10.5194/acp-10-8097-2010
- Telford, P. J., Lathiere, J., Abraham, N. L., Archibald, A. T., Braesicke, P., Johnson, C. E., . . . Pyle, J. (2010). Effects of climate-induced changes in isoprene emissions after the eruption of Mount Pinatubo. ATMOS CHEM PHYS, 10(15), 7117-7125. doi:10.5194/acp-10-7117-2010
- Quiquet, A., Archibald, A.T., Friend, A.D., Chappellaz, J., Levine, J.G., Stone, E.J., Telford, P.J., & Pyle J.A. (2015). The relative importance of methane sources and sinks over the Last Interglacial period and into the last glaciation. Quaternary Science Reviews, 112, 1. Doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2015.01.004